Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Friday, January 27, 2012

Flashback Fridays: Selling myself short


Flashback Fridays are a re-posting of my previous blog entries.  Sometimes I need a good kick in the butt and these old posts remind me of how to get it done.

Why I flash-backed to this post:  With the GAR race coming up in less than a month, I've been having a hard time with my trainings.  I do pretty okay for the first two or three mile, but after that I sell myself short.  I tell myself I'm not a runner and that I can't do this so instead of pushing through the run, I just stop and walk.  I've done 6 miles with my GAR training group but on my own, I have a really hard time pushing myself.

This flash-back is to remind me that I CAN do it.
_______________________________________________

Original post date: 9/26/09
Original post found here.
It was my plan to go to the gym tonight and do my cardio there but decided I wanted to get outside and run. So I dropped the boyfriend off at work and went running. The route that I chose took me around Diamond Head and along the beach so the views and sunset were amazing!
This is part of the route: Around that big brown crater on the right and around the green fields to the left.

Please remind me that I live in Hawaii and we have gorgeous sunsets daily outside... I tend to take it for granted!
Anyway, the route is a little hilly and at one particular area, it's a good incline for about a mile. I've never run the entire way before, BUT I DID IT today! Even as I was doing it, I didn't think I'd make it. Talk about selling myself short! What kept me running the entire way...
"I'll just run to that mail box"
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that street light."
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that fire hydrant."
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that parked car."
And before I knew it I reached the top of the incline and I felt good! So good that I just kept on running instead of giving myself the break that I kept promising myself I would get if "I just run to that... whatever."
AWESOME!
I'm not a runner... never really enjoyed it... and over the past year or so I've really avoided it because I used to get shin splints - come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the shin splints are the only reason why I don't like running - but since I started to consistently lift weights, I've noticed (knock on wood) that I don't get them any more. Could be a mix of mostly running of the treadmill at the gym instead of on the pavement so these next several weeks I'll be getting in more runs outside to see if the pain comes back.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Annie! It's pretty surprising to look back at old negative thoughts. Like you, I said self-defeating things in a kind cheerful way to myself. It was very convincing but wrong! We are far more capable than we once thought!

:-) Marion

Kyle said...

I run versus I'm a runner...hmmm...when does one get to call themselves anything? Am I a vegan or am I eating a vegan diet. Only you get to determine your label...and if you run, I think its okay to be a runner!

You deserve the road and accomplishment as much as the next person.

Annie...you are a runner...despite speed, distance, or style. It is something you want to do and are doing...you are a runner.

Unknown said...

I love this idea of reposting. I think I will go back and read so of my old post again. :)