Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 4/30: Selling myself short

As promised... I'm back on track today!

Water goal... CHECK!
Calorie range... CHECK!
Miles... (read below)... but CHECK!
Strength training... CHECK

It was my plan to go to the gym tonight and do my cardio there but decided I wanted to get outside and run. So I dropped the boyfriend off at work and went running. The route that I chose took me around Diamond Head and along the beach so the views and sunset were amazing!
This is part of the route: Around that big brown crater on the right and around the green fields to the left.

Please remind me that I live in Hawaii and we have gorgeous sunsets daily outside... I tend to take it for granted!

Anyway, the route is a little hilly and at one particular area, it's a good incline for about a mile. I've never run the entire way before, BUT I DID IT today! Even as I was doing it, I didn't think I'd make it. Talk about selling myself short! What kept me running the entire way...

"I'll just run to that mail box"
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that street light."
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that fire hydrant."
Then when I got there, "I'll just run to that parked car."

And before I knew it I reached the top of the incline and I felt good! So good that I just kept on running instead of giving myself the break that I kept promising myself I would get if "I just run to that... whatever."

AWESOME!

I'm not a runner... never really enjoyed it... and over the past year or so I've really avoided it because I used to get shin splints - come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the shin splints are the only reason why I don't like running - but since I started to consistently lift weights, I've noticed (knock on wood) that I don't get them any more. Could be a mix of mostly running of the treadmill at the gym instead of on the pavement so these next several weeks I'll be getting in more runs outside to see if the pain comes back.

By the way, the most awesome thing about today's run? I thought the route I ran was about 5 miles... turned out to be 7.2 miles!!! Yay me!

7 comments:

Dree said...

Wow, congratulations, that is fabulous!! I do the same thing, just convincing myself that if I reach a certain area, or just run until the song on my iPod ends, I will do well. Good for you!

One Pretty Little Box said...

Awesome! I am not a runner either but would LOVE to be. And not a runner on the treadmill, but outdoors. SUMMER here is out of the question, that is why we tend to swim alot. BUT no excuse the other three seasons out of the year.

What a beautiful picture you have! I challenge you to do a new sunset pic everyday for a week!

Amazon Runner said...

You go girl!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your scenery and sunsets, but even more jealous of ability to convince yourself to push past your limits.

You are a rockstar Annie.

Dawn said...

7.2 miles...that's great!

Sheila said...

Hey Annie! This is your cousin...heard about your blog and finally got to take a look today. Congrats, you are doing great! And you look great! I hope to follow your lead to get back in shape and a healthier lifestyle!
Sheila

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

Great job on the running! I do the same thing with the whole small goals for a run. Way to go with the 7.2 miles!