Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Monday, September 7, 2009

GAG 2009: Week 1 Point Challenge

The first week of the GAG Challenge is off and here is the first point-challenge:

Part One
"Map out a game plan for yourself for [Labor Day]. On this game plan ~ you should include healthy dishes you "could" take, and things you will do to avoid eating the stuff that is really not worth it."

My game plan for special occasion events is to take a picture of everything I eat, like here. That way even if I don't know how many calories are in the food I'm eating, I always make sure to watch my portions. By taking pictures and posting them on my blog, it keeps me accountable.

As far as healthy dishes, I'll usually be the one who brings the veggie/fruit platter to the event and although some people complain, it seems to be the item that always runs out.

Part Two
"The second part of this challenge is to post a healthy alternative type recipe that you can take to a BBQ, Potluck or Family Gathering."

Burgers are one of my favorite things to eat but they have been cut out of my diet to a minimum. My healthy recipe remakes a classic: The BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger!

Ingredients:
  • 8oz. lean ground beef (the leanest you can find)
  • 8oz. ground chicken or turkey
  • 4 slices turkey bacon, cut into halves
  • 4 slices low-fat Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 4 tbs. barbecue sauce
  • 4 reduced-calorie whole wheat hamburger buns
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Preheat grill on high.
  2. Mix together the ground beef and chicken with the salt and pepper. Separate mixture into four equal parts and form into patties.
  3. Cook turkey bacon on the grill, stove top, or in the microwave until crispy and lay aside on paper towels.
  4. Start cooking patties on the grill, about two-minutes per side until well done. Place a slice of Swiss cheese on each burger. At the same time, toast the buns on the grill.
  5. Place cooked patty on bun, add a tablespoon of barbecue sauce to patty and lay two bacon halves on patty. Top with onion slices and top of bun
  6. ENJOY!

No comments: