Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Friday, February 17, 2012

Flashback Fridays: I'm no beginner anymore

Flashback Fridays are a re-posting of my previous blog entries.  Sometimes I need a good kick in the butt and these old posts remind me of how to get it done.

Why I flash-backed to this post:  With the Great Aloha Run coming up in less than 72 hours, I'm still lacking the motivation and excitement about the race.  I remember the last time I did it - three years ago! - I couldn't wait for race day! 

I trained a lot more this time.
I weigh about 15 lbs. less this time.
I'm in much better shape this time.

So why the anxiety about the race?  I think it has to do with the fact that because of the things I just listed, I should easily beat my time from 2009, which was a pace of 13 minute/miles.  And if I don't, I have no excuse for it.

This weekend is the Great Aloha Run Health Expo so hopefully that'll inspire me to get hyped up!
_______________________________________________

Original post date: 10/6/09
Original post found here.

Over the weekend I went back in time... sorta.

I spent my Sunday morning rereading my blog from start to finish. What an exhausting journey! The one thing I found constant throughout my posts was the fact that when I talk about fitness, I talk about myself as a beginner - someone just starting to workout. Even though the intensity, amount, length and type of workouts have increased with my posts, my reaction to my progress is still the same. I make it sound like I've accomplished so much by doing so little! Like my celebration about running up a one-mile hill.

"Hello! You've run a 13K almost a year ago, you should be
celebrating much harder fetes than a one-mile hill!!"

Well I'm no beginner but I'm no athlete yet either... or am I? I still see myself as the "fat girl" who could only walk for exercise...
Not someone who can hike non-stop-in-less-than-30-minutes up a mountain made of stairs!
Not someone who can do plyometric workouts with the best of them!
Not someone who does a boot-camp at the gym and remains the last one standing in my group!
Not even someone who looks forward to working out everyday!

But I need to keep telling myself that I am that someone!! I actually do look forward to my daily workouts!

I am no longer a beginner at this stuff called fitness and I need to stop acting like I am. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not anywhere near elite athlete status or anything, but I can't be celebrating the small stuff anymore.