Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I'm no beginner anymore

Over the weekend I went back in time... sorta.

I spent my Sunday morning rereading my blog from start to finish. What an exhausting journey! The one thing I found constant throughout my posts was the fact that when I talk about fitness, I talk about myself as a beginner - someone just starting to workout. Even though the intensity, amount, length and type of workouts have increased with my posts, my reaction to my progress is still the same. I make it sound like I've accomplished so much by doing so little! Like my celebration about running up a one-mile hill.

"Hello! You've run a 13K almost a year ago, you should be
celebrating much harder fetes than a one-mile hill!!"

Well I'm no beginner but I'm no athlete yet either... or am I? I still see myself as the "fat girl" who could only walk for exercise...

Not someone who can hike non-stop-in-less-than-30-minutes up a mountain made of stairs!
Not someone who can do plyometric workouts with the best of them!
Not someone who does a boot-camp at the gym and remains the last one standing in my group!
Not even someone who looks forward to working out everyday!

But I need to keep telling myself that I am that someone!! I actually do look forward to my daily workouts!

I am no longer a beginner at this stuff called fitness and I need to stop acting like I am. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not anywhere near elite athlete status or anything, but I can't be celebrating the small stuff anymore.
I always hear talk about how people who lose weight still think of themselves as fat and this is exactly what I'm going through except on the fitness side. During my personal trainer sessions, whenever my PT tells me to move faster or longer on an agility/cardio exercise, I always doubt myself because I have the mindset of a beginner. This is holding me back!!! Again my mindset is holding me back!

So for the next several workouts I do, I'm gonna think differently, reminding myself that I am not a beginner - in fact, far from it! Hopefully this will allow me to push myself

H.A.R.D.E.R. FA.S.T.E.R. S.T.R.O.N.G.E.R. F.A.R.T.H.E.R.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bullshit! You ARE an athlete. Period. End of Story.

I like your attitude though, keep pushing those limits and hone your craft.

sarah said...

Athlete.

Maxine said...

hey Annie,

It's a Nautilus Step Mill: http://support.nautilus.com/support/stairmaster/prdcdovr~SM200103/StairMaster+StepMill+7000PT.jsp

Very inspiring to hear how you want to continue to expand your accomplishments. For the mountain climb, have you thought of timing yourself and trying to trim 1 minutes off your time each time? You can do it!

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

You need to work on that mentality, you are TOTALLY an athlete. And you are kicking butt and taking names. Keep up the amazing work, you are an inspiration!

Croughwell said...

Is that stairway to heaven or koko head?

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

LOL, you and I have so much in common! That explains wearing the size 14 swimsuit this weekend, I didn't think I had lost "That much" to be going and getting a new one from last year. I wasn't aware that it was 14 though, thought it was a 12... Anyway, I totally just got through 2 sets, but added 3-5 reps on each exercise just before reading this. I too have to tell myself I'm not a beginner anymore! It's really really really hard to believe though. That's okay. Too much pride can be a bad thing I suppose :)

I'm totally with you and team Vixon. Not sure where Kate and Amy are though :( I've been visiting other Gaggers to make up for it. Have a good one :)

Anonymous said...

Well said Annie! You are doing great and a real inspiration to others keep it up! Your post made me look at myself in a new light today! Thank you!