Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

New month and NO goals

I don't know 'bout you, but I noticed that I tend to do the opposite of what I'm suppose to do? Especially when it comes to diet and exercise.

I KNOW what I need to do and I KNOW how to eat right, yet I don't!

So I'm doing something different this month. Instead of having expectations and short-term goals that pressure me, which eventually leads to failure, I'm just gonna 'do what I do' and see how it goes. I'm not setting a goal weight. I'm not gonna say I'm aiming to exercise 6 days/week or eat only 1600 calories. Last month I focused on the diet part of losing weight so this month I wanna get back on a track with the exercise part. But again, no goals. This is not to say I have no goals - I still have my long term goals - but I just don't wanna have to think of calories, exercise and my weight ever waking minute of the day!


Instead, I'll be crossing off days on this calendar whenever I workout. That's it! By the end of the month, I'll see how many days I've missed and reevaluate my progress from there.

5 comments:

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

I'm with you about goals/contests. I get so stressed. That's why I too have taken it back to the basics...Just me and trying to be good.

Annalisa@Gracie'sGarden said...

Yeah, I am back to building the foundations of my weight-loss plan. I think the word "goal" has problems in my head. A goal is something that can be made or lost. It sounds like "I hope I make my goal" but hope is different than determination. I am determined to weight-train on Mon Wed Fri. I have the time, so there's no excuse. This isn't my goal, it is a part of who I am, a part of my week, a part of my life. That's what I'm telling myself anyway. "Fake it till you make it". It's just the beginning of a re-start, but I can already taste success. Good luck Annie. You deserve the best. You've done so great so far, don't get hard on yourself about it now. Crawl if you must, just never give up! :) Happy holidays.

Kyle said...

For those of you who read the Don Miguel Ruiz book "The Four Agreements", you'll remember that the fourth agreement is "Always do your best". It simply means that in your heart of heart that you know that you've done your best. That is all that matters. You don't need a specific goal to achieve, you just need to know that in walking your path that you can confidently say that you've truly done your best...thats it.

Sounds like to me that you are trying to do your best. Keep doing your best Annie!

Dayne Gingrich said...

You hit on a point I've been trying to teach this exact same concept for quite awhile... the word "goal" scares people, and is usually equated with negative pressure.

I love the goal of not having goals.

Instead of long term goals, like everyone loves to make... focus on the word MOTIVATION. It isn't negative sounding and doesn't make us feel pressure of failure. To be motivated is positive~ positive living, feeling, and sounding.

Make your long term stuff your "motivations." It'll feel much more natural and definitely more positive day-to-day.

Dayne

Alissa said...

I know how you feel! I think I over-goal myself sometimes. I also feel like it's just not possible to journal for your entire life, so there's got to be a point where your intuition takes over. I guess the journaling is the practice and once it becomes second nature, you stop. You can always fall back on it if things get tough. December is a tough, tough time to be motivated, and I think you're doing great! Can't wait to hear about your CLX X combinations!