Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Word of the day: ACCOUNTABILITY

Word of the day: ACCOUNTABILITY!

This is actually the word of my life, not just the day.


Accountability is needed in almost every aspect of life: career, friends, family, strangers, spouses, even your relationship with your pets! So it's no wonder this word has so much power when dealing with getting healthy. Along the way, I have learned that being accountable to myself is more important than anything. As I was talking to a friend today, I mentioned to him that I started my own blog and the first thing he says to me is, "It's not about losing weight, is it?" I was stunned at his comment because not only did I not know what he meant by it, but I was also a little insulted. The biggest thing going on in my life right now is getting back in shape, so I told him, "Yes, it's about me losing weight and getting healthy." He then went on to ask me why I would do such a thing... put myself out there on the internet for others to judge... and my only answer to him was: ACCOUNTABILITY. By putting my day-to-day accomplishments and struggles out there for (potentially!) the entire world to see, not only keeps me motivated but keeps me accountable to myself and to my potential-blog readers.

To me, staying accountable to myself is by far the most important thing I can do. Without it, living a healthy lifestyle will almost be non-existent... I mean think about it... why do you stay healthy and fit? Sure, to feel better and look better, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with being accountable and responsible to your body, mind, and soul. My accountability keeps me motivated to make smart food choices throughout the day and it gets my butt off the couch and moving. Such a small word with such a big meaning... it is literally saving my life right now!

2 comments:

Missresa's said...

You are so right! I started to realize that I had moments when I just didn't have the time to manage a daily blog, but I still posted on a fitness website I belong to with other people. We have weekly weigh-ins, and we hold each other ACCOUNTABLE... Without their support, and also posting my progress and pictures on my blog, I know I wouldn't have stuck with it! You are doing so awesome, and you are definitely giving me inspiration to continue on!

Jade said...

AMEN!! I also like that there are so many of us going through the same struggles and challenges - they know what we're going through and oftentimes give greater support than the people in our off-line lives.

Keep up the great work!! You're doing so well!