Home    |    About TASG    |    Before and After     |     Weekly Meals & Exercise     |    TASG Goes Hiking  

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Reason 6: To run a half-marathon

(The list of "31 Days of Reasons" is not in any particular order)

Let me start this post by saying that I am not a runner.  In fact, I've convinced myself that I don't like running. So why would I want to do a 1/2 marathon?

1.)  Never really gave running a chance
2.)  It would be a huge goal to accomplish (see Reason #3)
3.)  It's in Las Vegas!!

Vegas 2010... I miss you already!


Yup, Vegas!  I love me some Las Vegas.   For the last couple years, Anthony and I have been eyeing the Las Vegas 1/2 marathon (it's also a full marathon). How awesome would it be to run in Vegas... down The Strip... at night?!  I want to turn into a runner just to do this course...

That being said, it leads me to the love-hate relationship I've had with running.

Running and I have never been friends.  During my elementary and high school years, I was pretty active playing soccer, volleyball and basketball and the one thing they all had in common was running.  And running was the only thing that gave me problems during those years.  I was prone to shin splints all season long, every year, year after year.  I can't even count how many rolls of athletic tape I went through taping up my shins at every practice and game.

This was running's first strike out.

When I started this journey back in 2008, I signed up for - and completed - an 8-miler and just hated it.  I trained for it and pushed through the shin splints, but being overweight was still really tough on my knees and lower body.

Strike two, running!

Day of the race came and I was so pumped to do the 8-miler!  The first 3 miles went really well but then the course changed.  The course took a turn and went under a freeway overpass for almost 4 miles straight.  The same scenery... the same runners... the same EVERYTHING for almost 4 miles killed me.  It put me in such a bad mood.

Strike three, and you're out, running!

But did you notice that all the things I "hated about running" almost had nothing to do with running itself?  My thoughts exactly!  So I can't blame running for being junk... I never even gave it a chance. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I once again signed up for that same 8-miler so I'm hoping that going into the race knowing what to except (as far as the course goes) will give running another chance.

In the end, if I do sign-up for the Vegas 1/2, spend the $$$ to get there and decide not to do it... at least I got to visit Vegas again!

I'm on this healthy journey to run an un-thinkable 1/2 marathon.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Sometimes the reasons don't matter...if it brings you to your goals. I hope you do get back into running as I hope that for myself as well.

sarah said...

I want to run that race, too. I am unsure if I want to run a half marathon again, but I want to run that race.